This webpage is intended to update the public (especially librarians and admin contacts) on important dates, webinars and guidelines associated with the GALILEO portal redesign project.
The first phase of the GALILEO Search redesign was completed in July 2020. It included changing the way the homepage looks, as well as upgrades to how users find resources and databases. The second phase will include additional refinements, including a bento box results display available to the public in July 2021.
The GALILEO development team consistently works to upgrade GALILEO Search, and ongoing improvements will also be publicized here.
Timeline and Important Dates:
- March 2021: Public library views
- April 2021: Prototype of bento box release
- May 2021: Internal and accessibility testing
- July 2021: Bento box results display available
Prior to the July 2021 release, GALILEO will announce virtual training on new features. Stay tuned.
December 3, 2021:
- GALILEO Search: We now allow admins to change Publication Finder API profile.
- GALILEO Search: Changed “Galileo” to “GALILEO” in user facing text
- GALILEO Search: Changed “Express Link” button to a “share” icon, next to the database name, and changed the tooltip.
- GALILEO Search: Improved behavior of bento description popovers
- GALILEO Search: Added “Try Bento” checkbox to embedded search box
- GALILEO Admin: Added Publication finder API profile field
- GALILEO Admin: Various user experience improvements to bento configuration.
December 16, 2021:
- Added ability to pull Journals Bento data from Alma API
- Added bento box for print materials, sourcing data from EDS
- Fixed Bento results horizontal scrollbar issue
- Fixed Incorrect Number of Arguments error when trying to display EDS Custom Resource for resource with colon in name
- Fixed New Georgia Encyclopedia / Custom Catalog “Online Access” links not showing in Bento Box
- Fixed: New bento with no set sort order displays first even though it shows last in GALILEO Admin
- Make “Databases” bento layout match other bentos
- Add Service credential field to the edit page for Galileo created Bentos
- Give access to allocation K-12 view management to institutional users
- Drag and drop view: Show confirmation when saving changes that include deletions.
- Fixed bug: Error when downloading BentoConfigs/Service Credentials.
- Performance improvements made to restore of default configured bentos process
- Various fixes and improvements to Bento configuration
—Updated Ruby on Rails
December 20, 2021: (phase 3 redesign)
- Redesigned search homepage with tabbed search box (two tabs, “Bento” and “Classic Search”) and removed databases by Subject/Type from homepage. Made Bento Search the default search.
- Display bento descriptions (via hovering over the info icon)
- Add express links to databases bento and replace express link button with icon site-wide
- Institution-user management of bentos
- Suppress warning when custom catalog bento is skipped when restoring defaults
November 5, 2021:
- Improved spam detection on contact page
- Fairly major changes to welcome page to help guide users with the login process
- GALILEO Admin: Extensive improvements to bento configuration, allowing institutional control over many aspects of the bento search. These settings will be made available to institutional users in a future release.
November 19, 2021:
- Fixed layout issue caused by the survey alert
- Alphabetized badges on the “More Info” database search page
- GALILEO Admin: Added breadcrumbs, continued improvements to bento configuration logic
- GALILEO Search and Admin: Moved new behind-the-scenes bento configuration logic into production
- GALILEO Admin: Fixed: When a subject is changed/deleted, all its resources’ allocations need to be reindexed
October 8, 2021:
* Fixed: “Availability” link was incorrectly displaying for Britannica results in the Encyclopedia bento box.
* Minor improvements to the data importer
October 22, 2021:
* Implement user view limiters
* Adjusted iframe height of embedded search box when logo/url is removed
* Fixed Unhandled bento exception should result in special error message with “contact support” link
* Updated Puma
* Fixed proxy access to non-openathens resource
* Various under-the-hood improvements to bento logic.
September 10, 2021:
* Improvements to database search: Made “sort by relevance” aware of selected facets by default
* GALILEO Admin: Added Serial Count Report
September 24, 2021:
* Improvements to logic that arranges the bento boxes on the bento search results page.
* Improvements to links stats.
* GALILEO Support form spam filtering improvements.
August 13, 2021:
* Some Ruby Gem updates
* Added some tests
* GALILEO Admin: Added product_suite to Institution Allocation report
* GALILEO Admin: Some database cleanup of old data from INDB
August 27, 2021:
* Made login with PINES ID redirect to OpenAthens for OA-enabled institutions
* Updated Rails
* GALILEO Admin: Bug Fix: Allocations not appearing on subject show page for allocation subjects.
* Added back “Refine Search” button on bento “more results” modal. This was previously removed due to an EDS-related issue.
* LearningExpress and Encyclopedia bentos now more closely match EDS search results.
* Fixed Bug: Redirects to EDS landed at a blank search screen for users logged in via OpenAthens but eligible to be logged in via IP authentication
* Added automatic retry for a certain intermittent EDS API errors on bento page
* Moved the option to try the new bento search into production. The bento interface searches everything at once - databases, articles, eBooks, primary sources and more, and organizes the results into bento boxes for easier access.
* Moved new header design into production
* Added “Tour” to navigateusers through the new site revisions
* Minor improvements to OpenAthens login logic
* Ruby gem updates
- Improvements to “what’s new” functionality
- Bug fix for “Contact Us” mailer: blank attachments were causing an error
- GALILEO Admin: Added a report showing deleted contacts and minor bug fixes, including no longer showing inactive institutions in the pulldown on the user invitation form
- GALILEO Admin: Removed “default” from “view type” menus for public libraries
- Minor bug fix for wayfinder keywords
- GALILEO Admin: Move GLRI tools link feature into production
- GALILEO Admin: Allow institutional users edit powernotes/zoterobib booleans
- Added ZoteroBib to Tools area on main GALILEO Search page (ZoteroBib helps you build a bibliography instantly from any computer or device, without creating an account or installing any software.)
- GALILEO database search enhancement: The formats, subjects, keywords, and vendors shown on the “more” page now link to a search.
- GALILEO Admin enhancement: Institutional admins can now choose to exclude the PowerNotes and ZoteroBib links that normally show on the GALILEO Search page in the tools area.
- GALILEO Admin enhancement: Added new fields to resources. New fields include “serial count” and “resource category”
- Minor fixes/improvements to IP and password authentication
- Added release notes link to GALILEO Search footer
- GALILEO Admin: Added ability for GA institutional users to update institutional logo and links.
- GALILEO Admin: Added ability for GA Institutions users to add keywords to Wayfinder for institution and sites.
- GALILEO Admin: Added ability to add additional existing subject categories to resource allocations for GALILEO central resources.
- Upgraded Ruby on Rails
- Reporting improvements in GALILEO Admin
- Updated Puma (Ruby on Rails web server)
- Bug fix: Remote logins for old sessions were not working
- Added PowerNotes FAQ link to tools area
- Fixed express link issue with spotlight section (added logic to identify and remove extra spaces after URLs)
- Minor update to Ruby on Rails
- Added ability for public libraries to chose between elementary, middle school, high school and full views
- Added ability to use keywords (such as “UGA”) when trying to find your institution in the wayfinder
- “Change View” button: make outline more visible
- Various fixes related to IP auth, proxy, etc.
- Design changes to embedded search box
- Fixed: Redirect URLs not IP authenticating
- Fixed various linking issues
- Fixed issues with “What’s New” and views
- GALILEO Admin: Added contact group for OpenAthens IdP contacts
- Upgrade to Ruby 2.7
- GALILEO Admin: Added ability for institutions to request a specific GALILEO password (GALILEO support team implements.)
- Added ability to press enter in wayfinder to autoselect institution
- Fixed: Inactive institutions still have instruction pages
- GALILEO Admin: Added ability to select multiple Institutions, vendors, resources for respective allocation reports
- New favicon
- GALILEO Admin: Created IP cache look-up tool
- GALILEO Admin: Add pines_codes to institution edit form
- We now validate institution and resource codes in paths (routes)
- We now suppress display of user-provided parameter value in error message
- Added path/route for database more info page
- Fixed: Search “Start Over” button does not retain the ‘view’ parameter
- Fixed: Database show page ‘Back to Search’ button not lined up
- Fixed: A-Z bar facets not retaining view parameter
- Added “sharable links” page with shortcut URLs in tools section of homepage
- Fixed: Can’t log out if institution does not have ezproxy defined, e.g., guest
- Added A-Z horizontal facet
- Updated Georgia Public Library Service password instructions to reflect PINES e-card
- Added “Database List” link on the tools section of homepage.
- Added “1000” option to “per page” pull-down on search displays
- Added support for “view” shortcut URLs
- Hero image (cover image) on wayfinder page now changes when a “view” shortcut URL is clicked
- Minor update addressing vulnerability