Facts and Figures for Marketing GALILEO
- GALILEO (GeorgiA LIbrary LEarning Online) is Georgia’s award-winning virtual library of licensed, commercial databases and selected free Internet resources
offering access to thousands of full-text magazines, journals, encyclopedias, and electronic books to every Georgia citizen.
- By collaborating and sharing resources, GALILEO benefits more than nine million user-constituents in Georgia wherever they are—school, home, library, or office.
- Providing equal access to information through GALILEO improves the quality of library services for all Georgians.
- Serving more than 2,000 institutions including the USG, public K-12 schools, public libraries, technical colleges, a group of private academic colleges and universities, and a group of private K-12 schools, GALILEO reaches across the digital and social divides to provide high quality library resources to all citizens in all age groups.
- Universal access to core materials, including full-text books and journals, for learners of all ages and interests.
- Best-of-breed tools for simultaneous searching of multiple databases and discovery and linking among electronic journals.
- Georgia Government Publications, a database of more than 35,000 full text digital publications.
- Professional development opportunities for librarians, media specialists, and educators on a variety of topics.
- All resources are available 24x7 to any public library user with a password or a PINES login.
GALILEO BY THE NUMBERS
- $1,161,825,107: number of dollars libraries did not have to spend for full-text articles over their 15 years of GALILEO access*
- 145,000,000: number of total user experiences in FY2009**
- 54,693,159: number of searches FY2009**
- 3,041,613: number of logins to GALILEO in FY2009**
- 23,897,083: number of full-text article Views FY2009**
- 53: number of core resources available to all GALILEO participating institutions in FY2010***
- 83: number of publicly available free resources (including Digital Library of Georgia and New Georgia Encyclopedia) FY2010***
- 71,555: number of Full Text Journals in GALILEO Core FY2010****
- 383: number of Participating Institutions FY2010*****
- 35: University System of Georgia
- 26: Technical College System of Georgia
- 17: Atlanta Macon Private Academic Libraries
- 29: Georgia Private Academic Libraries
- 62: Georgia Public Library Systems
- 186: Public K-12 School Systems
- 28: Private K-12 Schools (Members of Georgia Independent School Association)
- 9,829,211: number of Georgians currently being served by GALILEO as of July 1, 2010******
*Internal, based on full-text usage x $5.25 per article viewed (2010 rate.)
**GALILEO usage statistics
***GALILEO FY2010 Database Listings
****Serials Information Worksheet for GALILEO Libraries FY2010
*****Internal data. Note that K-12 numbers do not represent individual schools; rather, they represent individual school systems. Public libraries are also counted at the system level and not the individual branch library level.
******Current population of Georgia from U.S. Census Bureau. Data accessed August 9, 2010.