Filed Under: Public Library
Posted June 2, 2015
EBSCO Explora is now live!
EBSCO Explora, a new interface for schools and public libraries, is now live. Explora is designed to support student research and classroom instruction with reliable content and easy-to-use functionality.
Here are the Express Links for you to use on your library or media center website:
Explora for Elementary: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zbxe
Explora for Middle School: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zbxm
Explora for High School: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zbxh
Explora for Public Libraries: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zbxp
See the GALILEO Training page for upcoming sessions on Explora.
Please note that links to Searchasaurus: Primary/Elementary, Searchasaurus: Middle Search Plus, Kids Search, and Student Research Center will no longer work. You will need to remove those from your websites and subject guides.
Posted May 21, 2015
OCLC Databases: New Platform is Live
For institutions that subscribe to the OCLC FirstSearch base package (academic and public libraries), the FirstSearch databases have now been migrated to the new, mobile-friendly platform. Now that OCLC allows databases to be searched at the same time, we have added a link for OCLC Databases, which will search all of the OCLC resources.
Here are the Express Links:
Please note that this defaults to a search of all of the former FirstSearch databases listed below as well as CAMIO and ArchiveGrid. In Advanced Search, users can choose which databases to search.
- ArticleFirst: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zosr
- Electronic Books (at OCLC): http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zobo
- ERIC (at OCLC): http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zoer
- GPO Monthly Catalog: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zog1
- MEDLINE (at OCLC): http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zomd
- OAIster: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zoai
- PapersFirst: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zopi
- ProceedingsFirst: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zop1
- WorldCat: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zowc
- WorldCat Dissertations and Theses: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zodt
ArchiveGrid and CAMIO will continue to utilize their unique interfaces:
- ArchiveGrid: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zorx
- CAMIO: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=zocm
OCLC has told us that ClasePeriodica is not available on the new OCLC platform and will be discontinued in December. For now, it will continue to utilize the old FirstSearch platform until it is removed your GALILEO menus in December 2014.
Holdings for Institutions with Cataloging Subscription
OCLC has changed how authentication is handled. Institutions now have an institution-specific URL that allows users to search your OCLC resources all at once. For institutions with a cataloging subscription, your holdings will be listed first in search results.
If you have any questions or need to report a problem, please use the GALILEO Contact Us form (http://www.galileo.usg.edu/contact) or contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-875-3697.
Posted April 3, 2015
Ace Your Golf Game with GALILEO
In celebration of the Masters Tournament in Augusta next week, let’s take a look at what GALILEO offers for golf enthusiasts in Georgia.
Use the Discover GALILEO search box to search for golf* to find articles about all aspects of golf, or search for golf courses, golf equipment, golf clubs, golf techniques, or another related topic. For a more specific search, try searching for a particular golfer, tournament, or course to see articles, images, and more.
GALILEO also includes several golf magazines, including Golf Digest, Golf Magazine, Golf World, Sports Illustrated, and more. Note that you can receive email alerts when a new issue of a magazine is added to GALILEO by clicking the Alert/Save/Share link in the upper right of the page and then clicking the Email Alert link.
For a look at golf in Georgia, the New Georgia Encyclopedia has several interesting articles about the Masters Tournament and several golfers, including Bobby Jones, Tommy Aaron, Louise Suggs, and more. The Digital Library of Georgia includes many wonderful historical images of golfers and golf courses in the Vanishing Georgia and Picturing Augusta collections.
Some links may not work off site. Log in to GALILEO first for access.
Posted March 4, 2015
the new HeritageQuest interface is here
ProQuest has released the new interface for HeritageQuest Online, which is available to all Georgia citizens in GALILEO through the public libraries across Georgia.
You can get a look at the new HeritageQuest Online here:
Check with your local public library for access information.
ProQuest has put together a LibGuide with more information here: http://proquest.libguides.com/heritagequestonline
We are working to schedule trainings for the updated interface, so watch for an upcoming announcement.
Posted February 27, 2015
coming March 4 - update to HeritageQuest interface
On Wednesday, March 4th, HeritageQuest Online will be transitioning to a new interface, powered by Ancestry.
HeritageQuest will include:
- Complete 1790-1940 U.S. Federal Census with images and every-name indexes for all years
- Additional census records such as Mortality and Non-Population Schedules, Indian Census Rolls, and more
- Expanded collection of genealogy and local history books and city directories with an all-new user interface, thumbnail images and hit highlighting
- Complete Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land record collection (NARA M804)
- Freedman’s Bank Records with full-page register view
- Periodical Source Index Archive (PERSI), 1800-2009
- U.S. Serial Set Memorials, Petitions and Private Relief Actions
- All-new research aids
- Interactive census maps
- And more
See http://go.proquest.com/HQO_Update/ for additional information.