Filed Under: K-12
Posted April 12, 2013
Celebrate National Library Week 2013 with GALILEO
National Library Week is an annual celebration of the contributions of our nation’s libraries and librarians. The theme this year is “Communities matter @ your library,” and, in honor of this theme, we’ll be sharing ways that GALILEO is there to support your community’s needs.
Here’s of sneak peek at what’s coming this next week:
- Monday, April 15 - 2013 State of America’s Libraries Report
- Monday, April 15 - GALILEO is there: Acquiring Your Next Job and Advancing Your Career
- Tuesday, April 16 - Give Your Favorite Library Worker a Star for National Library Workers Day
- Tuesday, April 16 - GALILEO is there: Finding Your Next Favorite Book
- Wednesday, April 17 - Georgia’s Bookmobiles: Bringing Library Services to You
- Wednesday, April 17 - GALILEO is there: Researching Your Family History
- Thursday, April 18 - Support Children’s and Teen Reading with GALILEO
- Thursday, April 18 - GALILEO is there: Helping Your Students with Homework
- Friday, April 19 - Find Out About the Top 10 Most Challenged Books in 2012 in GALILEO
- Friday, April 19 - GALILEO is there: Exploring Your Local History
So, be ready for National Library Week. It’s time to celebrate!
Posted April 11, 2013
Find Poem for Poem in Your Pocket Day
If you’re looking for a poem for Poem in Your Pocket Day next week, here’s a quick tip for finding poems for institutions that purchase Literary Reference Center. In Literary Reference Center, go to Advanced Search, leave the search field blank, and then limit your search to Poem in the Document Types section. Click the Search button, and you have thousands of poems at your fingertips.
Image from Poem in Your Pocket Day site
Posted April 10, 2013
Ace Your Golf Game with GALILEO
In celebration of the Masters Tournament in Augusta this week, let’s take a look at what GALILEO offers for golf enthusiasts in Georgia.
Use the Discover GALILEO search box to search for golf* to find articles about all aspects of golf, or search for golf courses, golf equipment, golf clubs, golf techniques, or another related topic. For a more specific search, try searching for a particular golfer, tournament, or course to see articles, images, and more.
GALILEO also includes several golf magazines, including Golf Digest, Golf Magazine, Golf World, Sports Illustrated, and more. Note that you can receive email alerts when a new issue of a magazine is added to GALILEO by clicking the Alert/Save/Share link in the upper right of the page and then clicking the Email Alert link.
For a look at golf in Georgia, the New Georgia Encyclopedia has several interesting articles about the Masters Tournament and several golfers, including Bobby Jones, Tommy Aaron, Louise Suggs, and more. The Digital Library of Georgia includes many wonderful historical images of golfers and golf courses in the Vanishing Georgia and Picturing Augusta collections.
Some links may not work off site. Log in to GALILEO first for access.
Posted April 9, 2013
UGA Press National Poetry Month Picks
Looking for some poetry to celebrate National Poetry Month?
UGA Press offers National Poetry Month Picks and invites you to discover or rediscover some current and past poets.
Posted April 4, 2013
Research on Youth Sports Safety
April is National Youth Sports Safety Month, and GALILEO provides plenty of information and research on this topic.
Just use the Discover GALILEO search box to look for youth sports injur* prevent* or for a specific sport or type of injury to see research and other articles related to prevention of injuries in youth sports.