Filed Under: Databases
Posted December 14, 2011
Today in Georgia History Now Available in GALILEO
Today in Georgia History, which includes daily television and radio segments focusing on significant people and events in Georgia history, is now available in GALILEO.
Express Link: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=tigh
Today in Georgia History is an educational program that includes daily television and radio segments focusing on significant people and events associated with a particular day in Georgia history. A joint collaboration of the Georgia Historical Society and Georgia Public Broadcasting, this interactive website allows you to access streaming audio and video of the episodes, as well as transcripts, tips for teachers, curriculum, writing prompts, review questions and discussion topics, classroom exercises, follow-up research topics and selected primary-source material. Together, these resources will reach students of all grade levels, cover all subject areas based on content, and will align with Georgia’s social studies curriculum and performance standards.
Posted December 8, 2011
TOXNET and NCBI Now Available in GALILEO
The National Library of Medicine has decided to discontinue the NLM Gateway service due to budget limitations, so the link to it has been removed from GALILEO. Read the full article about NLM Gateway.
Many of the resources that were searchable through the NLM Gateway are available from other NLM sources. TOXNET (TOXicology Data NETwork) and National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), which includes a search of PubMed, have been added to GALILEO so that users can easily access these resources.
TOXNET Express Link: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=toxn
NCBI Express Link: http://www.galileo.usg.edu/express?link=ncbi
Posted November 17, 2011
Automobile Repair Reference Center Gets a New Interface
Automobile Repair Reference Center has been updated! The new interface features include:
- Intuitive, user-friendly navigation
- Enhanced searching within content collections
- Ability to print/email/save high-quality PDF records
- Increased repair coverage – more than 37,000 vehicles covered
- Expanded, in-depth repair information from the major original equipment manufacturers, including Ford, Honda, and GMC
- On-Board Diagnostics (OBD II) codes with description and troubleshooting information
An online tutorial for the new interface can be found here:
Click on either the “Flash” or “Powerpoint” link.
Posted November 4, 2011
NoveList Updates Now Available
Here are brief descriptions of the updates:
- Goodreads Now Available: All of the NoveList databases now include reader ratings and book reviews from Goodreads.
- Easier to Find Read-alike Content: In addition to the Read-alikes located on the right side of every Title, Author, and Series Detail page, NoveList has added links to Title, Author, and Series Read-alikes at each record in the search results.
- Easy to find Author Information: Author information is located in one easily accessible location. Just enter the author name in the search box and go to the Author Detail page where you can find author read-alikes, author descriptions, a list of all of the books by that author, and a list of all the series by that author (if applicable).
See this announcement from EBSCO for more information:
If you have any questions or need more information, please use the GALILEO Contact Us form or contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-875-3697.
Posted September 29, 2011
eBooks Now Available for Download via eBooks on EBSCOhost (Formerly NetLibrary)
GALILEO is happy to announce that eBooks can now be checked out and downloaded onto many different devices from eBooks on EBSCOhost (formerly NetLibrary.) This functionality is available to all GALILEO institutions who have purchased Solinet/Lyrasis Shared Collections via GALILEO:
- University System of Georgia
- Technical College System of Georgia
- Public Libraries
Users will now see the option “Download (Offline)” appearing within the record for each eBook. When a user selects this option, they will be prompted to sign into their My EBSCOhost account. If the user does not have a My EBSCOhost account, they will be asked to create one. Once the user logs in, a screen will appear where the user can select the “Check out Period” and then download the eBook.
In order to view the eBook on their device, the user will need to download Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 or higher. This is necessary to manage the checkout process.
If you have any questions regarding this new functionality, please submit a comment to GALILEO Support Services via our Contact Us form.